Meteosat WEFAX - WEFAX
WEFAX (Also known as Weatherfax, HFHigh Frequency (3-30 MHz)-FAX, Radiofax, and Weather Facsimile) is a slow scan analog image transmission mode used for the transmission of weather charts and meteorological reports. The only station known to be sending newspaper articles (in Japanese) is the Fukushima Fisheries service in Japan. Their schedule can be found here (courtesy of the UDXF) as a PDF.
WEFAX was originally developed for satellite usage, but has gained usage in the HFHigh Frequency (3-30 MHz) bands in the past decades. Satellite WEFAX use can be seen at Meteosat WEFAX.
WEFAX's format is a derivative of the Automatic Picture Transmission (APT) originally developed for transmission from the polar satellites of the USA.
WEFAX has 60, 90, 100, 120, 180 and 240 LPM (Lines per minute) speeds, and two IOC (Index of Cooperation) modes, IOC 576 and IOC 288. Most weather forecasts are sent in IOC 576.
|Start tone||5s||300 HzHertz (Hz), unit of frequency, defined as one cycle per second (1 Hz).||675 HzHertz (Hz), unit of frequency, defined as one cycle per second (1 Hz).||200 HzHertz (Hz), unit of frequency, defined as one cycle per second (1 Hz). for colour fax modes.|
|Phasing signal||30s||Black line interrupted by a white pulse.|
|Image||Variable||1200 lines||600 lines||At 120 lpm.|
|Stop tone||5s||450 HzHertz (Hz), unit of frequency, defined as one cycle per second (1 Hz).||450 HzHertz (Hz), unit of frequency, defined as one cycle per second (1 Hz).|
|120 LPM||240 LPM|
|Intro||Fax||End of Trans.|
- Typically around 3 MHzMegaHertz (MHz) 10^6 Hz to 16 MHzMegaHertz (MHz) 10^6 Hz. See here for Yachtcom UK Weatherfax frequencies.
- NOAA Worldwide Radiofax Guide
- USCG Marine Weather Broadcasts Note: Click on the USCG Radiofax link
- Black Cat Software
- Black Cat HF Weather Fax (Windows and macOS)
- Black Cat Weather FAX (Android)
- HF FAX Decoding (IPhone / IPad / IPod Touch / Android)
- Other Software
- CocoaModem (for Macs)
- MultiMode (for Macs)
- SDRUno WeatherFax Plugin
- Wolphi Weather FAX
- Zorns Lemma Page is in German
- Professional Equipment/Software
- Hoka 300-32
- Wavecom W-Code
- Wavecom W-Spectra
- WinRadio Advanced Digital Suite
- HF Weatherfax with RTL SDR (RTL2832) in Direct Sampling Mode, SDR Sharp and FLDIGI
- Kyodo News HF FAX with RTL SDR (RTL2832) and Nooelec Ham It Up Upconverter, SDR Sharp and FLDIGI
- HF Fax Decoding (Northwood)
- Receiving NMC Weather Fax on 8682.0 kHz